SEOUL—North and South Korea agreed to hold a summit in Pyongyang in the coming weeks, in what would be the third meeting this year between the leaders of the two Koreas.
The summit, which was announced in a brief statement issued by both Koreas following high-level talks on Monday, comes amid concerns about an impasse in engagement efforts with North Korea that began earlier this year.
The meeting, which will be held in September according to the joint statement, follows through on an agreement reached by North Korean leader
Kim Jong Un
and South Korean President
in April, when the two leaders met for the first time this year. At the time, they had agreed to meet again in Pyongyang in the fall, without specifying a date.
Pyongyang has served as a venue for inter-Korean summits in 2000 and 2007.
Monday’s agreement followed four hours of talks at the Panmunjom truce village at the inter-Korean demilitarized zone.
“I believe today’s meeting was positive,” said Cho Myoung-gyon, South Korea’s Unification Minister and Seoul’s chief delegate at the talks, adding that the two sides had discussed the setting up of an inter-Korean liaison office, military agreements and exchanges on sports and infrastructure.
North Korea’s chief delegate, Ri Son Gwon, said he “thought it very important that both sides do their part in pushing through the agreements,” in an apparent reference to the joint statements that followed Mr. Kim’s first meetings with Mr. Moon and President Trump this year.
Write to Andrew Jeong at firstname.lastname@example.org